I purchased this big vise from an oil company in Casper, Wyoming, who hadn’t used it in a good ten years. It had been sitting out back, and had endured the cold winters and hot summers for all that time.
Frozen up and no idea what this swivel base came from.
Everything about this vise needed my attention. Un freezing the Dynamic jaw support was first on the list. After standing the vise up right I heated up the Static body till the automatic transmission fluid was pulled into the round slider area. I did not take pictures of this operation but after a couple hours of heating and cooling the small area of ATF sucked in. I used my Oxygen and Acetylene torch.
Of course the jaws were used and needed replacing. I added a pair of brand new 6 x 1-1/2 x 1 inch serrated jaws. I also built a new solid smooth jaw that accepts pipes from 1/4 to 7/8 round.
The biggest challenge with the jaws was with the dynamic jaw support keyway. It has to perfectly align the two jaws, but it was off by just one degree. The jaws just didn’t line up perfectly, so I attempted to carefully alter the key so I wouldn’t damage the date stamp that read 4-78. I adjusted It by welding one side and removing material from the other side, and now it is good.
I built a new 3-1/8 inch horseshoe washer out of A2 Tool Steel, and heat treated it to 54-56 R/C. Then I re-machined the spindle to be tighter and to allow only 20 degree backlash. The horseshoe groove for the washer was worn and needed welding and re-machining. The backlash settings are controlled by this step. The washer I replaced had been fabricated out of plate steel and cut out with a torch, so it is a clear upgrade.
Tig welded and re machined to fit the vise counter bored pocket. .015 clearance max for a tight backlash setting.
The handle was frozen, so I cut it off and machined the hole to 13/16 (.812), and I made the bore .012 oversize to make the new one tighter and more durable. The new handle is made of 1144 Cold Formed CRS. I believe this stuff is the best for both handles and swivel locks. I also added a 5/16:18 thread to add a 3/16 ball spring and set screw to prevent sliding, just like you would see on Parker vises.
The knobs are custom made from 1-1/4 diameter 1144 CRS and heated and peened in place for a permanent installation, just like the originals. I added rubber bumpers to save your fingers.
I made my own set of custom swivel clamps and created the swivel lock handles in a shape that I liked. I made the swivel lock body from 1 inch hex stock that can really be clamped down tight with a 1 inch wrench.
I built a new 2-3/16 end cap. Mine are built heavy and out of a solid piece of steel.
The anvil area was machined flat so the new owner can add his own marks. (I would never strike this anvil with a hammer, but that’s me). Painted with Rust-Oleum self etching primer, and then covered with 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Verde Green and baked in the hot sun for three days before assembly.
Surfaced ground anvil area.
I did not like the inner ring that came with the swivel base that I bought from Nick Carava. So I made my own. I redesigned the inner ring and made it in a two piece that was pinned and screwed together. You are not going to break this one.
That’s it. A lot of work, but this Wilton 600S will definitely pull its weight.
Width at widest point: 10″
Handle Length: 14-1/2″
Max depth to round slider: 3-1/4″